Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Recipe: Raspberry Chicken

This is one of my all-time favorite recipes.  My mom gave it to me when I was in college (many moons ago... ha!), and I've been making it ever since.  It's super easy, and perfect for a work night.  Prep time is about 10 minutes, cook time 20.

Ingredients:



Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme

Directions:
Sprinkle chicken with salt and thyme. Heat non-stick fry pan with Pam and add oil. Saute onion for 5 minutes.  Add chicken.  Cook until done.  Remove chicken (not onion) from pan and place on platter. Keep warm.





Sauce:
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jelly or jam
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Add sauce ingredients to fry pan, heat until jelly melts.  Drizzle on top of chicken.  Serve over rice or couscous.




Tips:

  • Onion- I'm terrible at measuring stuff like that... I just use 2 small onions or 1 large. 
  • Chicken- I used chicken tenderloins for this post.  I think tenderloins cook up better in a recipe like this.  I've also cubed the chicken before too.  In other words... any way you like your chicken will work!
  • I love the sauce on this chicken, and really like the rice to soak it up, therefore, sometimes for a stronger taste, I'll use 3/4 cup of the jam.
  • If you don't mind seeds, seeded jam is fine.  It gives it a different texture, if your a texture person... proceed with caution!
  • I think this works better over couscous, but then again, I like couscous more than rice.  Full disclosure on my bias. haha. 
This recipe is the perfect week night recipe!  Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm not much of an onion person, but I'm sure I could play around with it and find a substitute. It's the raspberry part that's calling my name!

    Kaitlin
    www.teaandsequins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin- if you like raspberries... you will love this!!! Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it :)

    ReplyDelete