Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Little Vacation Recap.... Southern Fun & The Kentucky Derby!

So, in some ways it feels like it's been forever since I've written.  Life has been a whirlwind since returning home from my vacation to North Carolina.  I had such a fabulous time, and am so thankful I have the opportunity to jump on a flight and get away for a little R&R when I need to! A week away from the cold New England rain? Sign.Me.Up. My bags are packed!


(shoes Lauren Conrad; Longchamp purse; Kate Spade Purse; Vera Bradley duffel)

For those of you who know me- you know I am deathly afraid of flying.  A completely irrational fear, I know.  The odd thing is I fly on a pretty regular basis, and this is one area where experience definitely does not make me better.  Thank goodness for in-flight cocktail service, good music, and good reading material or I would be a complete mess!

New England weather can be so unpredictable.... and I sure enjoyed those North Carolina skies and 86 degree weather.


One of my favorite parts of my trip was an adorable Kentucky Derby party we attended.  I am ashamed to admit it, but this was my first Kentucky Derby party!  I left wondering why I waited so long to finally enjoy it?  I guess it is because there always seems to be something else going on.  An excuse to wear a fun hat and drink whiskey? Again, sign me up!

 Another first- Mint Juleps!  So good!  And this Mint Julep Station was the cutest:




 Of course I was rooting for WICKED STRONG... I had to keep that Boston spirit up even away from home.
I have no idea where I got this Wicked Strong pic from... but its amazing!

Obligatory hat selfie?  Can't wait to wear this guy on the beach this summer!


A yummy bourbon was the perfect way to cap off the evening. I'm really starting to enjoy bourbon lately... maybe my taste is becoming a little more sophisticated in my old age.. haha!

One thing I don't get to see every day in Northeast... deer!  I'm not saying we don't have deer, I'm just saying in my city-ish apartment it's not something you see every day!
One night while sitting on the deck, a family of 5 came walking through.... you can't really see them that well... but I thought they were adorable.  (I know, I'm crazy.)

This deer is definitely saying... "why is this crazy city girl taking millions of pictures of me?"

I absolutely love trying new beers, especially local brews.  I got this hoppy flight at the Carolina Ale House...

But my most favorite beer of the trip was this IPA:
Hoptimist IPA by White Street Brewing Company in Wake Forest, NC.  I absolutely love this brewery.  It is locally owned and operated and located in a quaint little downtown area. I go here every time I go to NC, and in my opinion, is a hidden gem.  I've always had amazing brews, and this time was no different. 

The Hoptimist IPA is described as "west coast IPA... showcasing the Amarillo and Citra hop.  Mango and grapefruit dominate the nose, and are balanced by a crisp American malt character."  This was one of the best IPA's I have ever had.  My only regret is that I cannot get this in New England.  

Cheers! To a wonderful vacation!

Ohh... and just when I was feeling a little sad about vacation being over.... this is what was waiting for me in the window of my apartment when I returned.... Made coming home A LOT easier!



No comments:

Post a Comment