Monday, June 2, 2014

Taking Care...

Hey Everyone... So this post is super late, and isn't the post I planned to write.  My plan was to tell you all about my "beach bag essentials", but that didn't happen.  I struggled with whether or not to write this.  Especially because I want to link up to FundayMonday, and this is not a fun post to write.  But after thinking it through, I know part of being a blogger is putting yourself out there, so your readers can really get a chance to understand who you are.

I suffer from pretty debilitating migraines.  I never know when they are going to strike, or for how long they will stay.  Sometimes they are gone in 6-8 hours, other times they have lasted 2+ days.  I started getting them in law school.  They got really bad when I was studying for the bar exam.  Towards the end of studying for the bar, I was pushing myself and trying to work through one, and ended up in the hospital.  I lost two days of studying, and from that point forward I realized a valuable lesson.  You have to take care of yourself to be  successful at anything.  So, now, when I get a migraine, I take care of myself.  Mostly, that means I take some migraine meds, make my bedroom as dark as possible (because light is the most painful thing when you have a migraine), and sleep.  It also means I have to suck it up and use a sick day.  This morning was a struggle because I have a lot going on at work right now, and really could not afford to miss work today.  But I reminded myself- if I didn't take the day to take care of myself, I would be no good to my clients.  I'm better 100% one day than 25% over two days.  I hate the feeling of looking out the window and seeing what a beautiful day I missed.  I hate thinking I wasted a day on nothing more than sleep.  Getting over this is a huge struggle for me, but I'm reminding myself taking care is just as important as enjoying every minute.

Turns out, taking care of myself today worked.  After nearly 18 hours of sleep, I feel much much better.  I can feel my headache lingering slightly, but I think I am out of the woods.  I think all too often we have so much going on, we tend to take care of everyone else before ourselves.  I was reminded today, that taking care of yourself is essential to being the best you can be... whether it be at work, in a relationship, or with friends and family.

Anyways- that's that! I'll be back tomorrow with my beach bag essentials!  I hope all of you had a fabulous Monday!


6 comments:

  1. I feel ya. I'm the same way with my migraines and you are totally right, you gotta take care of yourself! Since I am preggo right now meds are really a last resort - so sucking it up and taking a sick day of laying in the dark is my #1 defense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen- isn't it amazing how the dark makes such a difference? I always worry about what I'll do when I have a baby! I hope you are migraine-free the rest of your pregnancy :)

      Delete
  2. I also suffer from migraines, it's the worst! Hope you're feeling better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Migraines are the worst! I suffer from some pretty bad ones so I can totally relate and feel your pain (literally)! I hope you're feeling better today. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niki- maybe we picked up some virus back in our "OUR HOUSE" days or something that makes us more susceptible!?!??! Hhahaha.

      Delete